skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF)

Last updated: 15/05/2024
Something else This resource can use the Welsh language
Leave comments/feedback for this resource

What we do

The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grant that you do not need to pay back.

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)
A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel if you:

- are experiencing extreme financial hardship
- have lost your job
- have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment

You cannot use it to pay for ongoing bills that you cannot afford to pay.

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)
A grant to help you or someone you care for live independently in their home or a property that you or they are moving into.

What you can use the grant for
Use the grant to pay for:

- a fridge, cooker or washing machine and other ‘white goods’
- home furniture such as beds, sofas and chairs.