skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

Carers play an important role in supporting people to live independently at home. The person who receives informal care from a family member or friend is less reliant on social care services, which in turn eases the pressure on those services.

As a carer you have certain legal rights, including the right to support and the right to decide if you are able and willing to continue in your caring role.  

Carers and the law

The Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 puts a duty on local councils to consider the support needs of an adult carer who is looking after someone who usually lives in the local authority area (including a disabled child).

Local councils also have a legal duty to provide carers with information and good advice relating to their caring role and support needs (in Welsh if the carer wishes). Dewis Cymru is designed to give you the information you need to make choices and take control (for more information about why Dewis was set up click here).

Having your needs assessed

Your local council must offer you a carer’s needs assessment when it becomes aware of your caring role. You will be asked about your own well-being needs and what personal outcomes you would like to achieve, for example, carrying on working or pursuing a hobby.

You can ask for a carer’s needs assessment even when the person you care for is not receiving support from social services.

Financial help

Making the decision to care for someone can have a big impact on your own finances – and often the household income.

Depending on your situation, you may be eligible for the Carer’s Allowance, the Carer’s Premium (extra amounts added to certain benefits) or other household benefits.

Choosing not to care

The 2014 Act states that local councils must not assume the carers are able and/or willing to continue caring.