skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

Whether you’re trying to organise childcare, want to know more about early years education and after-school activities in your area or you just need a little extra support to be a good parent, there is plenty of help available.

There is a local Family Information Service (FIS) in each local authority area across Wales who can provide information about a range of services in your area.

  • Your local Family Information Service can signpost you to local projects and services that offer support to people returning to work, volunteering or learning. Parents and carers can also contact their local FIS for information on childcare options in their area and help with childcare costs.
  • If you are a (grand) parent looking after children contact your local Family Information Service (FIS) for ideas on activities, places to visit and things to do.
  • If you need help with looking after children there is quality childcare (such as day nurseries, holiday clubs and childminders) available at many settings in your area. Contact your local Family Information Service (FIS) or visit for details of childcare settings registered by the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).
  • Many grandparents provide informal childcare for their grandchildren. Your local FIS can provide information and support for grandparents such as local activities, events, places to visit and groups to attend. The FIS can also provide information on keeping children safe, indoors as well as out and about.
  • Family Information Services (FIS) can provide information on local services and projects supporting parents or carers to remain in, or return to learning or work. FIS can also provide details of activities, events or sports & leisure opportunities.
  • Family Information Services (FIS) can provide information on local activities, events, places to visit and leisure opportunities to (grand) parents to take part in with their (grand) children.
Last updated: 07/05/2019