skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

No-one can feel safe and content when the people around them are frightening, abusive or even violent towards them.

It’s natural to take it for granted that the people with whom you share your life – your family and friends, neighbours and carers – will treat you with kindness and respect.

Regretfully, this is not the case for everyone.

Abuse within the home

Many people have good reason to be concerned, even fearful, about the treatment they receive within their own homes, and the majority of abusers are well-known to their victims.

Domestic abuse and child abuse wreck lives and break up families. Elder abuse is widespread and yet many perpetrators do not recognise their behaviour as abusive.

People who need support services – whether at home or in a residential setting – should receive kindness and respect from those who are paid to care for them and yet abuse also takes place in residential settings.

If you wish to raise concerns about a care service or residential home, contact the Care Inspectorate Wales.

Abuse outside the home

Sometimes it’s not the people you share your life with that are the problem but those you encounter when you leave your home.

Anti-social behaviour and nuisance neighbours can make your life a misery but there is no need to suffer in silence.

If you are being harassed or threatened, or your property or possessions are being vandalised, contact the police. You can report noise problems to the environment department of your local council.

Hate crime should always be reported. Call the police on 101 or report it to the police online.

If you are unhappy or feel unsafe with the people around you but are scared to make a fuss, you might prefer someone to speak up on your behalf.

If you or someone else is in immediate danger, always call 999.

Last updated: 27/02/2023