skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

Regulated services

Some of the services listed within Dewis Cymru are known as ‘regulated’ services. Some of these need to be ‘registered’ with the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW). This requirement aims to ensure that such services provide a good quality and safe service for the people who use them.

These services include community care and residential services for children and adults

Registered services must by law meet certain basic standards set out by the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016.

These services are registered with and inspected regularly by the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW). Most inspection reports are publicly available and published to the CIW website (some children’s services inspections are not made public).

If a registered service fails to meet or exceed the required standard, the CIW has the power to take action, to ensure improvements are made to the service. Where a service provider fails to make the required improvements further enforcement actions can be taken for example this may result in closure of a service or prosecution of a service provider.

All registered services are highlighted within the Dewis Cymru Directory of Services. This will allow people to gain more information about the service by following the link to the CIW website.

How to complain about a registered service

If you have a specific concern or complaint about the safety and quality of a care home, you can contact CIW:

  • Call: 0300 7900 126; or
  • Submit your concern via the web form.

How to raise concerns as a member of staff or 'whistle blower'

Visit the CIW website to find out what steps you should take if you are concerned about a registered care service.