skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

If you have a permanent or substantial physical or sensory disability, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to cover major adaptations to your home.

Contact your local council, who will arrange for an occupational therapist to look at both your circumstances and your property and assess what can be done.

The council must be satisfied the building work is necessary and meets your (or the disabled person’s needs). You may also need planning and building regulations approval and must not start the building work until the grant is approved.

Your council will usually ask for two written estimates.

If you rent your home from the local council or a housing association, contact them in the first instance. If it is not possible to adapt your current home, they might be able to find you a property which is already adapted or could be more easily adapted to your needs.

If you rent your property privately and you are disabled, your landlord can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant on your behalf.

If you do qualify for a grant, the amount you receive will be based on the value of the building work up to a maximum of £36,000 (this includes fees and administration costs).

Disabled Facilities Grants are means-tested. If you are a home owner, you may be asked to make a contribution towards the costs. There is no means testing if the adaptation costs less than £8,000 or is for a disabled child.

Last updated: 05/04/2023