skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

If you have care and support needs, you may be eligible for financial help to make adaptations to your home. The financial help that is available depends on your individual needs, your financial situtation and whether the adaptations you need are classed as minor or major.

Minor adaptations

You may be asked to pay something towards any minor adaptations, but the charge must be ‘reasonable’ for you to pay based on your financial circumstances.

For more information, contact your local social services or Care and Repair Agency.

Rapid Response Adaptations Programme

If you are in hospital waiting to be discharged, have recently been discharged from hospital or are at risk of being admitted to hospital or a care home (perhaps as a result of a fall,) you may be eligible for up to £350 worth of minor adaptations to your home.

Work might include installing hand rails or ramps, improving outside lighting or providing you with assistive technology.

The programme is not means-tested but you must be referred by a health professional or social worker (you cannot apply yourself).

Major adaptations

You may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) towards the cost of the building work if you or someone living in the property is disabled.

The DFG is mandatory (provided you qualify on income grounds) if you or the other person is:

  • you are unable to get in or out of your home
  • you are unable to use the bathroom or kitchen.

The amount you receive will be assessed on your household income and any household savings over £6,000. The maximum grant payable is £36,000.

Either you or the disabled person must own the property or be a tenant. The disabled occupant must live in the property for at least five years after the works are completed (or a shorter period if there are health or other special reasons).

You may be asked to pay some of the costs yourself, depending on your financial situation. The Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) will not affect any other benefits you receive.

If you own your home, contact the housing department of your local council for more information. If you rent your home, contact your landlord.

Paying for adaptations yourself

If you own your property, you may decide to sort some things out for yourself, e.g. fitting a handrail to outdoor steps, or replacing a bath with a walk-in shower.

Local councils often have long waiting lists for free occupational therapist assessments, so if you can afford it, you might prefer to consult an occupational therapist independently. Find a local one here or call 0207 989 0681.

Last updated: 03/07/2018