skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

If you do not drive, or have made the decision not to drive anymore, you probably use public transport or rely on friends and family to take you to appointments, for shopping trips and days out.

The availability, regularity and cost of public transport in Wales very much depends on where you live. While local bus services are generally good in the cities and larger towns, they run less frequently in rural areas, and sometimes only once or twice a week (if at all).

Traveline Cymru provides information about bus and train timetables throughout Wales, including updates on cancellations and disruption. Call: 0871 200 22 33.

Disabled Travel Advice offers advice for people with a range of different disabilities who are planning to use various forms of public transport, e.g. catching a train as a wheelchair user.

Free bus travel

If you are 60 or over, disabled, or were injured while serving in the Armed Forces, and live in Wales, you may be entitled to free bus travel within Wales.

There are no restrictions on time of travel, and if you are disabled, you can ask for a companion pass so that someone can accompany you on bus journeys. Apply to your local council for a free bus pass (you will need to provide evidence that you are eligible).

In areas where bus services are limited, you can use your bus pass on certain train lines. For more information visit Arriva Trains Wales.

Community transport

In communities where there are no regular bus services, charities and voluntary organisations have got together to meet the transport needs of local people.

Community transport runs local bus routes for people who need to get to work, school, medical appointments and even the nearest shops.

CT Online enables you to search for community transport near you.


Some taxi firms have cars with wheelchair access, and others have large boots which can accommodate a wheelchair. Accessible Countryside lists wheelchair-friendly private hire companies in Mid Wales, North Wales and South Wales.

Last updated: 02/06/2016