skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

There’s nothing like a change of scenery to lift your mood.

Of course, getting out and about doesn’t necessarily need to involve a long journey or even staying away from home overnight; you might simply decide to hop in the car or catch a bus to visit a nearby attraction, city or beauty spot.

You might prefer to travel farther afield and enjoy a longer break, perhaps a week’s holiday in the UK or overseas.

If you are providing unpaid care to a family member or friend you might need some time off caring in the form of a short break.

When you’ve decided what it is you want to do, it’s time to think about how to get there and whether you will need some assistance.

If you’re a driver, have someone else to drive you or you’re on a bus route, this might be straightforward. If you receive certain benefits, you may be eligible for the Motability Scheme. Depending on your benefits or mobility you might also be eligible for a Blue Badge.

If your destination is only a short distance away, you might decide to walk, use a wheelchair or mobility scooter or get a taxi.

Depending on where you’re going, you may be able to book community transport. Find my local community transport provider will help you find out what community transport is available in your area.

If you are an older or disabled person and you are travelling by coach, train or plane, you can request assistance to help you on your journey, e.g. additional help at the station or airport. You will usually need to do this in advance.

Many holiday companies and hotels now cater for older and disabled people so it’s worth spending time finding out which resort and/or accommodation will best suit your needs before you book.

Free bus travel

Don’t forget, if you live in Wales and you’re over 60 or disabled you can travel free on local buses at any time of day. Injured service personnel or injured service veterans who receive certain compensation awards are also eligible.To apply for your free bus pass, contact your local council.

A disabled person can also apply for a free companion pass to use when they need assistance to travel.

More information

Whether you’re travelling by bus, coach or bike, Transport for Wales can help you plan your journey and make sure it’s as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Euan's Guide shares information about accessible places to go across the UK.

Last updated: 17/04/2023