skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

Housing support helps vulnerable people to live independently in their current home or to move on to independent living.

Its purpose is to prevent homelessness and to help people maintain a stable and suitable home by addresssing their support needs.

Housing support can be provided to anyone over 16 regardless of whether they are living in their own home, sheltered housing, a hostel or another type of specialist housing.

Support is available to a wide range of people including:

  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with mental health issues
  • vulnerable families and women seeking refuge from domestic abuse
  • people with drug and/or alcohol problems
  • people with physical disabilities or long-term illness
  • older people, including those who are frail
  • homeless people, including young single people who are homeless or leaving care
  • ex-offenders and those at risk of re-offending

The support varies depending on personal circumstances but may include:

  • managing a budget/claiming benefits
  • basic life skills, e.g. cooking, cleaning
  • setting up and maintaining a home
  • form filling
  • emotional support and advice
  • personal safety and security
  • re-engaging with education or training
  • liaising with other organisations, e.g. social services
  • finding employment

You do not have to be receiving home (personal) care services to be able to get housing support.

Contact your local council to find out more about housing support.

Last updated: 27/04/2023