skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

If you are already a council or housing association tenant and your property no longer meets your needs, it's worth contacting your housing provider and asking for a transfer.

If you have medical reasons for wishing to move, e.g. you can no longer manage stairs, you will probably be treated as a priority.

If you want to move from a family-sized home to smaller-sized accommodation e.g. a ground floor flat or supported accommodation, this could also speed things up.

If you need specially adapted accommodation because you are disabled or elderly, you can apply to have your details entered onto one or more Accessible Housing Registers. This will help match you to suitable homes in different local authority areas.

Organising your own swap

If you are in a hurry to move, you might consider doing an exchange with another tenant – this can be a good option if you want to move to a different area or town to be closer to family or friends.

Tenants of different social landlords are allowed to swap but you need to obtain your landlord’s permission first.

Homeswapper is a nationwide service for tenants wishing to swap homes. It’s a free service and all you need to do is register online.

House Swap Wales uses Facebook to bring potential ‘swappers’ together.

Gumtree and Swapz also have sections dedicated to house swapping.

Last updated: 20/04/2016