skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

If you are only going into residential care on a temporary or on a trial basis, the local council’s charging rules are different.

Your stay might have been arranged because you are recovering from an illness or hospital stay, or to give your carers a break.

Sometimes, a temporary stay in residential care is part of someone’s ‘intermediate’ care plan or reablement services (short-term reablement services are provided free of charge).

Paying for temporary residential care

You should be notified of your status - permanent or temporary - immediately because it affects the way the council assess your financial contribution.

The council can agree for you to stay in residential care on a temporary basis for up to 52 weeks (longer in exceptional circumstances). They might not ask you to make a contribution for the first eight weeks but after that they must apply the means test.

How your benefits are affected

The rules for benefits are complicated and differ depending on the benefit and your individual circumstances.

If you are receiving disability or means-tested benefits, it’s important to tell the Social Security Agency so that you are not overpaid.

Age Cymru has published a useful factsheet 'Paying for temporary care in a care home in Wales'.

Last updated: 22/05/2016