skip to main content
Health and Wellbeing
A Health and Well-being Wales Partner

If you are disabled, getting older or living with a long-term condition it can be difficult to maintain your home and garden yourself.

If you rent your home privately or through a housing association, your landlord will generally assume responsibility for home maintenance and repairs. You will usually be responsible for maintaining any private garden, although shared outdoor areas like lawns and borders are usually covered by a service charge.

As a home owner, you have to deal with these regular tasks yourself – or find someone to help you.

Tools to help you with the task at hand

If you no longer have the strength and flexibility to do everything you used to do, there are still ways to enjoy DIY and gardening.

For example, if you enjoy gardening, why not consider buying new lightweight garden tools with longer, soft grip or angled handles? For more information about gardening tools visit AskSARA.

Paying for professional help

Sometimes it just makes sense to bring in the professionals.

If you are looking for a reputable tradesman, ask family and friends for recommendations, or use a website like or

Always use registered gas fitters and electricians.

Help from charities

Charities like Care and Repair Cymru and Age Cymru provide free and low-cost services to help vulnerable older and disabled people to remain living independently in their own homes (services differ around Wales).

The British Legion helps ex-Allied forces personnel with low-level maintenance and Forces Support helps the bereaved families of servicemen (from conflicts starting with Iraq 2001).

Last updated: 06/04/2023